The Jazz Show: Episode #1
> AS BROADCAST ON HCR
I had a picture of my ideal radio show in mind. Many years ago, Donald Fagen wrote a song called The Nightfly. It described the story a lone-wolf disc jockey, passing the night on the fictional WJAZ, which provided “jazz and conversation from the foot of Mount Belzoni”. The cover of the album showed Fagen doing two things you wouldn’t be permitted to do in a modern radio studio: one is smoking, the other is actually playing records…
But, on the Jazz Show on Harrogate Community Radio, you are stuck with me. I will be covering Jazz Standards as well as a great selection of newer releases.
Journeying from Bebop to Spiritual through Cosmic to Free, and covering all in between; I will play the music you need to hear on a Sunday afternoon. Broadcasting every second Sunday of the month at 4pm. To keep up to date with progress on The Jazz Show, feel free to sign up to the Newsletter HERE.
You Can Listen To The Jazz Show On Harrogate Community Radio Every Second Sunday Of the Month At 4pm.
Playlist For The Jazz Show:
- The Coming Of The Strange Ones – Shabaka and the Ancestors – We Are Sent Here By History
- A Love Supreme, Pt. I – Acknowledgement – John Coltrane – A Love Supreme
- Blue Monk – Rudy Van Gelder Remaster – Thelonious Monk – Thelonious Monk
- Hope – Lynne Arriale Trio – Chimes of Freedom
- Quick Trick – Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Just Coolin’
- Tell Me a Bedtime Story – Herbie Hancock – Fat Albert Rotunda
- Just Like River Flows – Omer Avital – Qantar: New York Paradox
- Atomised – GoGo Penguin – GoGo Penguin
- Between the Lines (feat. Keyon Harrold & Sparkz) – Ashley Henry, Keyon Harrold, Sparkz – Beautiful Vinyl Hunter
- Together – Matthew Halsall – Colour Yes (Special Edition)
- October in the Railroad Earth (with Steve Allen) – Jack Kerouac – Poetry for the Beat Generation (with Steve Allen)
- Racing a Butterfly – Anne Mette Iversen Quartet, Anne Mette Iversen – Racing a Butterfly
- Lotta Chant – James Tatum – A Collection of Progressive & Independent Spiritual Jazz 45s, 1968-75
- New Frankiphone Blues – Philip Cohran & The Artistic Heritage Ensemble, Pete Cosey, Louis Satterfield, Don Myrick – Philip Cohran and the Artistic Heritage Ensemble
- Come with Us (feat. Yazz Ahmed) – Ash Walker, Yazz Ahmed – Aquamarine
- TED – Village of the Sun, Moses Boyd, Binker Golding, Simon Ratcliffe – TED
- Goin’ Down South – Bobby Hutcherson, Harold Land – San Francisco
- So What (feat. John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley & Bill Evans) – Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans – Kind Of Blue (Legacy Edition)
Recorded in my spare room in Harrogate, North Yorkshire and trying the best I might.
Thanks for listening - if you have anything to say, feel free to leave a comment in the footer of this post or on the show in Mixcloud?