The Jazz Show: Episode #29
> AS BROADCAST ON HCR
I had a picture of my ideal radio show in mind. Many years ago, Donald Fagen wrote a song called The Nightfly. It described the story a lone-wolf disc jockey, passing the night on the fictional WJAZ, which provided “jazz and conversation from the foot of Mount Belzoni”. The cover of the album showed Fagen doing two things you wouldn’t be permitted to do in a modern radio studio: one is smoking, the other is actually playing records…
But, on the Jazz Show on Harrogate Community Radio, you are stuck with me. I will be covering Jazz Standards as well as a great selection of newer releases.
Journeying from Bebop to Spiritual through Cosmic to Free, and covering all in between; I will play the music you need to hear on a Sunday afternoon. Broadcasting every second Sunday of the month at 4pm. To keep up to date with progress on The Jazz Show, feel free to sign up to the Newsletter HERE.
You Can Listen To The Jazz Show On Harrogate Community Radio Every Second Sunday Of the Month At 4pm.
Playlist For The Jazz Show:
- Twilight – The Jazz Defenders – King Phoenix
- Apocryphal – Ben Haskins Quartet – Second Thoughts
- Lotta Chant – James Tatum – A Collection of Progressive & Independent Spiritual Jazz 45s, 1968-75
- Shepherd’s Serenade – Joe Harriott, Joe Harriott Quintet – BBC Jazz for Moderns
- Psychicemotus – Yusef Lateef – Psychicemotus
- Thembi – Pharoah Sanders – Thembi
- Take Five – The Dave Brubeck Quartet – Time Out
- Juan Pablo – Ezra Collective – Chapter 7 + Juan Pablo: The Philosopher
- Black Focus – Yussef Kamaal – Black Focus
- The Awakening – Josef Leimberg, Terrace Martin, Adam Turchin – Astral Progressions
- Moanin’ – Tony Allen – Moanin’
- When the World Was One – Matthew Halsall, The Gondwana Orchestra – When the World Was One (Special Edition)
- Little Sunflower – Freddie Hubbard – Backlash
- Loran’s Dance – Idris Muhammad – Power Of Soul
- Black Narcissus – Joe Henderson – Soul Jazz Records Presents Soul of a Nation: Afro-Centric Visions in the Age of Black Power (Underground Jazz, Street Funk & the Roots of Rap 1968-79)
- Rye Lane Shuffle – Moses Boyd – Displaced Diaspora
- Spirits up Above – Rahsaan Roland Kirk – Volunteered Slavery
- Elijah – Donald Byrd – A New Perspective (Remastered / Rudy Van Gelder Edition)
- Thème de Yoyo – Art Ensemble Of Chicago – american swinging in paris
Recorded in my spare room in Harrogate, North Yorkshire and trying the best I might.
Thanks for listening - if you have anything to say, feel free to leave a comment in the footer of this post or on the show in Mixcloud?